Friday, February 21, 2014

Global Community Development Programme Executive Committee Member

That's a mouthful isn't it? :D 
The name of the position makes me sound like some big shot. :D :D 

Anyway, yep, I'm officially in the committee for AIESEC, under the Outgoing Exchange Department. Yesterday (20/02/2014) was my first time working for AIESEC. My team and I are in-charged of doing marketing and recruitment in Faculty of Engineering. We set up a booth yesterday outside a LT and approached students who walked passed the booth to introduce the organization and the programme to them. Actually my team members did this last week and the turnout was good, within 2-3 hours, they managed to get 23 emails. I didn't attend that session due to my allergy. :x Stupid allergy that I don't even know why it exist in the first place.

So yea, back to the booth. Last week, was good but yesterday, there isn't much people over there. Our team leader decide to change the plan. We packed up and went to the canteen instead. No. Not to setup the booth there......but to approach students there. 

It was my first time using such a way to do marketing/promoting. At first, I thought it's not gonna work. To my surprise, it worked out and I prefer this method than the one approaching students by the booth. Reason? The students we approached at the canteen had nothing to do as they were queuing for food. Therefore, they will definitely listen to what we have to say and TADAHHHHHH.... I managed to get their email. :) Of course, the main purpose of getting their email is not just to update them but also to contact them, give them more information so that they can be convinced to join the Explore! programme. 

Through this experience, I realized something. Some people are really very nice! You know how some people just approached you to talk to you and end up trying to sell things and all? I really don't like that....so I will normally say NO to them. For those giving out flyers, most of the time I will not take the flyer because I know I won't need it, taking it will just be a waste, so not environmental friendly too. AND NOW, it's my turn to do such a thing. Although I'm not there to sell anything but I'm supposed to go up to people and convince them that this programme is good and they should join. Apparently, a lot of the students were willing to listen to me and even got interested in the programme. Some of them just listen while some even chat with me. I'm so happy to be able to talk to them. I will normally end the conversation with a thank you and if I remember I will add a 'Have a nice day!'. Some of the students even replied, 'You too!' I wasn't expecting that.....because I thought only ang mohs will reply to such things. :x 

Such little comment really made my day. It's so tiring to stand there, approaching people and talking non-stop in such a warm weather. Their reply to my 'Have a nice day!' means that they are actually listening to me, appreciate my wishes to them and wished me back. I just have a super good feeling about it. Yep, if everyone does such a small thing like that everyday, I think the world will become a happier place to live in. If you learn to appreciate others, others will do the same too and the cycle goes on..................and on.............and on.........:) 

I'm not sure if there will be more marketing activity after recess week but I hope there will be! It's a good experience for me do such a thing....especially so when I have a lot of knowledge on the thing that I'm suppose to promote and "sell". 

No comments:

Post a Comment